Friday, September 14, 2012

The Epic Journey to Kansas City

It has been 10 years since Ben and I have been out to Kansas City to visit my brother Jeff and his wife Angela and their kids. I put it on the top of our priority list and this Spring Break we took the epic journey (by minivan) to Kansas. Of course, I took about a billion pictures of this trip and then I came home and made an entire scrapbook of it, so here are just a few moments from our trip.

This is what the drive looked like most of the time. B-B-B-BORNING. I'm fairly certain that Wyoming must be the most miserable state in the union. Our girls were troupers though. Nothing a few million DVDs, and coloring books can't conquer! 

We stopped in North Platte Nebraska for an overnight pit stop. The girls were thrilled with our "fancy" hotel (The Holiday Inn Express) Fortunately we did get the kids suite and Ashley was particularly happy with the table and chairs that were just her size!

Ben has always dreamed of being on a Harley surrounded by a bunch of beautiful women . . . but I don't think this is what he had in mind. ;) There is a Harley Davidson Factory in Kansas City, so of course, Ben NEEDED to tour it. However the girls weren't old enough to go. So . . .



The girls and I happened upon this remote Doll Museum. It was up a strange road and we just follow homemade signs to get to it. It just might be the most bizarre place I've ever been. It was a little spooky. When we got there, no lights were on but everything was unlocked so we went in. Then, an old (really old) lady came out and welcomed us. I was fully prepared for a chainsaw man to come out of the back too! It was a little crazy. I tried not to show the girls my personal reservations on the place but about half way through Aubrey curled up in a ball on the floor and started crying. When I asked what was wrong she said she was just soooo freaked out there and hated it. I snapped a quick picture (for the memory, or evidence, if needed) and we booked it out of there!!!
Of course the best part of Kansas City is The Place family!!!! We stayed with Jeff and Angela at their house. Every night Angela read to the girls. It was a daily favorite for all of them!! 


 We also traveled to Liberty Jail, where Joseph Smith was imprisoned for a time while he wrote the Doctrine and Covenants. To the right is the jail (but it is too dark to see). Above is a replica of the gold plates.
 Jeff spent a lot of time playing with the kids all together. This picture warms my heart!

 The is "The Man" it is this statue in the middle of no where, in Angela's neighborhood. It is weird and interesting all at the same time. I told the Place children to always think of us when they pass "the man" because he is dreaming of his family in Utah!
 It was unusually HOT for April in Kansas City. It was 90 degrees! Luckily we broke out the slip and slide and let the kids play all day!
Kansas City has an awesome library! This is just the parking structure!!! I love that it is all books!

 On the way home, we stopped at the Omaha zoo. I'd never been to a zoo that fantastic before! It was amazing and made our Hoogle Zoo look pretty weak. It was great!
Hailey had just done a report on Jaguars and was thrilled to be so close to one!!

2 comments:

Melissa Rees said...

Wow you actually made that trip look fun! Lol, it's always fun to see family no matter where they live!

wuxiheather said...

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Ben with all the girls WITHOUT you. I LOOOOOVE that picture! (Not because you're NOT in it...) Because you seem to off set the red hair but it is so stinkin cute with him and all his red headed off spring! I love it! Although it may not have been how been imagined his Harley-surrounded-by-beautiful-women moment, it's 1,000x better. I love it. Ooh and the doll museum is thoroughly creepy! I love that pic too! You need to have Ben take some pics sometimes, so we know you exist too!