I do like November because Thanksgiving is the perfect precursor to Christmas and cleanser from Halloween. This November I was super busy with the elementary school PTA and being in-charge of the Grandparent Breakfast. We had 1,500 people come to the breakfast over a 3 day period. It was hectic and fun and exhausting. (However, I don't have any pictures.) I love volunteer work. I find it so rewarding to just do something to just do it. I also love working with and meeting new people.
Volunteering at the Food Pantry
This year the PTA setup an opportunity for the elementary kids to volunteer at the Bountiful Food Pantry. The girls and I went one evening to work. It was fascinating to see how things were operated and help out a bit. The girls enjoyed doing their task (to double bag grocery sacks) and I tried to teach them what a Food Pantry was and what we were doing to help others. I'm never quite sure how much is sinking in, but I hope something did.
Pre-Thanksgiving at the Powells
We switch off families for Thanksgiving Day each year. This year it was a Place family year so we had a pre-Thanksgiving Day meal and celebration at the Powell's the Sunday before.
I happened to snap this picture of Aubrey as she was coming down the stairs. It turned out to be a great photo.
Ashley's birthday happened to fall on Thanksgiving day this year, so we did a pre-birthday party for her at Powell's too. She LOVES getting toys!
Thanksgiving Day at the Places
This past year both my niece and nephew (twins, 19 years, James and Rachael) moved in with my parents. Their mother, Kim and her husband Troy are going through a divorce and with all the mess a divorce brings, it was better they lived with Grandma and Grandpa. I can't believe how much they have grown living with my mom and dad. It has truly changed their lives. Their father, Paul, passed away when they were five and they didn't have a good father figure/roll model for the majority of their lives. It's the little things they missed out on, like someone teaching them to be responsible and shovel snow when it snows, or mow the lawn, or just regular things you'd expect a father to teach his kids. This year was special because my dad taught James to carve a turkey. James did a great job!
Of course, I was too busy eating, chatting and playing games to take any good Thanksgiving Day pictures, but it was a fun day and we even had a little mini party for Ashley because she officially turned 2!






No comments:
Post a Comment