Friday, March 4, 2011

Family Home Evening

I've never considered myself a big nature lover nor have I ever really been an activist for any particular cause and up till five days ago, I'd never been to a rally. HOWEVER, it was brought to my attention that UDOT is considering putting a Legacy highway on the wetlands very near my home. I'm the first to admit that wetlands never interested me and when Legacy was first considered I was all for it "down with the wetlands!"

Now, I eat my words. I have fallen in love; in love with Farmington and West Farmington in particular. I love the peace and quiet out here. I love hearing the geese in the sky, I love the flat land in the west and seeing the mountains in the distance. I love the beauty of the Ranch nearby and all the horses. MOST of all, I love, love, love the bald eagles that migrate through here. I consider it a blessing to be able to drive home from Target and take two minutes to sit and watch TWENTY eagles in the trees on my way home. I have insisted that my sisters and parents come out and see this magnificent place. Particularly this past winter, I've been stuck indoor with my baby Ashley and when I need a break from these four walls I am amazed at what driving through the wetlands and seeing the eagles does for my spirit. I love this land and my heart belongs here.

The new road would not only affect the wetlands, it would make a big impact on my neighborhood and my dear neighbors that would literally have it in their back yard. Therefore, when those who oppose the road gathered at Eagle Bay for a rally, I was all about going. I tried to explain to Hailey and Aubrey what the meeting was about. They love the eagles and the neighborhood too and were excited to participate. I told them this is what we were doing for FHE and that it was important to stand up for things you believe in. Hailey made a cute homemade sign and we were off to the rally. Channel 4 news was there and Hailey was in a little clip of the news. At the rally people started chanting "C-1" that is the option we'd prefer. The next morning when the girls woke up they were still chanting "C-1" it was pretty funny. I'm sure the whole thing is sort-of over their heads, but they are loving being involved. You know, they's never woke up from a FHE and chanting "pray with eyes shut" or anything like that. I guess I need to make my other FHE lessons more exciting and invite a couple hundred people and the news next time! Here are some pics of the evening, and the land we are trying to protect.



Aubrey is in a green shirt holding a sign that says "Save Farmington" Hailey is sitting down with blue pants on (she is still in her casts and needed to sit)




No comments: