Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Karate Kid


After Hailey's Achilles surgery we had to take her out of dance so she could heal. She was never 100% sold on dance and didn't love it. I have a firm belief that children need a hobby or sport or something outside the home to help them with their development physically, socially and most importantly develop a strong self-esteem. Ballet did this for me and football for Ben. We were having a hard time finding Hailey something to love. Hailey asked if she could take karate. How/why she thought of this, I have no idea. At first I thought it would go away. But she was insistent on it. I took her to a few dojos and checked them out. Ugg. I could not imagine my sweet little girl doing karate. I didn't know a lot about it and wasn't feeling that great about it. Then I found Bobby Lawrence Karate in Centerville. From the moment I walked in the front door, I really liked the look, the feel and the way they treated Hailey. Now, 18 months later I absolutely LOVE karate. Not karate in general, THIS dojo and these people who train Hailey. They work on so much more than karate! They work on being a leader, getting good grade, cleaning your room, EVERYTHING. It has been so wonderful for Hailey and me! In order to get promoted to the next belt, you need to have your parents sign off, school teacher sign off and (of course) karate instructor. I love how they incorporate all aspect of Hailey's life into one. They say that a karate mater is balanced in all aspects of life, not just karate. It has been so good. Here are some pictures of Hailey at her first karate tournament.


Hailey getting ready to perform. She has to stand all alone on the mat in front of the judges, introduce herself and do a kata. 

Hailey in her first sparing tournament. She had to compete again all boys that were a belt level higher than her! She did great! Look at her kick him in the gut! Yikes, it does get my feathers ruffled when I see some boy right hook my daughter, but she bounces right back!!! This is a far cry from my ballet days!
Hailey and Jade, the owner of her karate dojo and one of her trainers.
Hailey at her belt ceremony paying respect for her purple belt and moving to her green one.

No comments: